#3: Still in Svalbard
Not kidding! We have a significant delay as a result of some political turmoil that resulted in the revoking of a permit allowing the Ukrainian-owned Antonov-74 from flying above 80 degrees north and onto what the Russians are claiming as their territory (despite being international ‘waters’).
We are waiting for a new permit to be flown in from Kiev (hard copy only!) before the first technical flight can land at Barneo followed by skiers.
Although politics has tainted our North Pole program in the past I never predicted that this stoush between two longtime adversaries would resonate so deeply north. How much can a polar bear?
Wednesday may be the earliest we can depart, if at all. Will keep you posted.